The Covid-19 crisis: Portal or dead end? - Eurodad Policy Forum 2021 Opening Webinar
November 22, 2021 at 2:00pm - 3:30pm
- Winnie Byanyima, Executive Director, UNAIDS
- Lidy Nacpil, Coordinator, Asian Peoples' Movement on Debt and Development (APMDD)
- Manon Aubry, Member of the European Parliament
- Hannah Brejnholt (Moderator), Oxfam IBIS, Chair of Eurodad Board
The Covid-19 health crisis exacerbated many imbalances in 2020 and delayed progress towards the 2020 Agenda for Sustainable Development (UNCTAD). The spread of new mutations is straining the capacities of many countries, particularly those facing the nexus of economic uncertainty, climate chaos, weak health systems and public investment in social safety nets and a lack of access to adequate vaccines. This has made the discussion about a post-Covid, climate- and gender-just and equitable world more complex.
From the Debt Servicing Sustainability Initiative and to the Common Framework for Debt Treatments to the Inclusive Framework on Base erosion and Profit Shifting, from the Bretton Woods Institutions’ Green, Resilient and Inclusive Recovery proposals to ongoing discussions to shape the COP26 agenda, the global response has shown a lack of ambition to tackle the root causes of the ongoing debt crisis, illicit financial flows and inadequate development and climate finance.
At the Forum we will consider the questions:
- What is the state of play of the global response?
- What are the key learnings from advocacy during the Covid-19 health crisis?
- What pitfalls in the 2008 Financial Crisis response can be learned from to address the current situation?
- What opportunities exist/can be created to address the financial dimensions of the multiple crises.
- Where do we need to keep up, increase or accelerate momentum?
This opening webinar will take place on 22 November, 14:00-15:30 Central European Time (CET) / 13:00-14:30 Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) / 08:00-09:30 Eastern Standard Time (EST).
Interpretation will be available in Spanish and French.