Reminder: CBCR call at 15:00 today + update on procedure
A warm reminder that our monthly CBCR call will take place at 15:00 today. You can find a brief update below and our agenda, connection details, notes from our last call and helpful resources below and attached.
Update on the written procedure following COMPET:
The Competitiveness Council (COMPET) meeting on 25 February will take place by video-conference due to the restrictions on travel and meetings. Procedurally, this means that the meeting is considered an informal meeting, so the Member States cannot formally adopt a position. Instead, this COMPET will be followed by a written procedure where the Permanent Representation to the EU will confirm the position in writing in the week following the COMPET.
- COMPET meeting will take place on 25 of February. Ministers will verbally express whether their Member States supports adopting a position (called a general approach) in Council.
- Ambassadors from the Permanent Representation to the EU will communicate in writing if their Member States supports the adoption of a Council position in Council during the week after the COMPET meeting (i.e. between the 1 - 5 March).
The Ministers should indicate if their Member State supports the general approach during the COMPET, but we won't have certainty and formal adoption of a Council position until the written procedure is completed. For now, Portugal has only indicated the week. Once they have agreed on exact dates and times, I'll share these.
You can join the call using the following links:
Join Zoom Meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/9908459755
Meeting ID: 990 845 9755
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/keJCaEJYYO
Agenda for 10 February CBCR call
1) Hello and welcome!
- EU level
- Member states
- Updates from other countries
3) Advocacy and campaigning
- Discussion and planning for upcoming phases: 1) Before COMPET 2) Towards European Parliament; 3) During trialogue.
- Review existing and required joint-resources
4) Next call
5) Any other business?
HELPFUL RESOURCES AVAILABLE
Current State of play document attached
Briefing on public CBCR available here
Q&A response to European Commission legislative proposal
2-pager on introducing public CBCR that is fit for purpose
Oxfam 2017 EU report on bank CBCR – Opening the Vaults
Transparency International's Corporate Tax Tracker tool
Transparency International's report on public CBCR for the banking sector
Joint CSO submission to OECD review of secret CBCR system
Other useful documents
European Commission legislative proposal
European Parliament summary of text adopted on 4 July 2017
Latest Council Presidency compromise, dated January 2021
Council decision on procedure during Covid-19 pandemic
Looking forward to speaking this afternoon!