Debt Wednesdays: session 3&4
Defaults & restructuring
Overview of debt in Latin America
The second session of the Debt Wednesdays training course introduced the concept of defaults and restructuring. We then moved on to a regional overview of the debt situation in Latin America.
- Astrid Iversen, Associate Professor in Law, Inland School of Business and Social Sciences
- Sebastian Grund, Legal Counsel, International Monetary Fund
- Patricia Miranda, Global Advocacy Director, Latindadd
- Oscar Ugarteche, National Autonomous University of Mexico and The Observatory Latin American Economic (ObELA)
- Moderator: Eric LeCompte, Executive Director, Jubilee USA
At the beginning of the webinar, you voted for the most familiar concepts, and this is the result:
They say that you really master a topic when you can explain it to a six year old. We hope that after the experts' presentations you have a clearer overview of the majority of these concepts, if not even the capacity to describe them at the next family gathering!
- Eurodad, Zambia: the canary in the (debt crises) mine? , 2020
- Astrid Iversen, Vulture Fund Legislation, 2019
- Astrid Iversen, Holdout Creditor Litigation: An Assessment of Legislative Initiatives to Counter Aggressive Sovereign Debt Creditor Litigators, 2015
- How to Restructure Sovereign Debt: Lessons from Four Decades, Buchheit, Chabert, DeLong and Zettelmeyer, PIIE, 2019
- Sovereign Debt Restructuring: the Centrality of the IMF’s Role, Hagan, PIIE, 2020
- CADTM, From the South to the North of the planet: a short history of the debt crisis and structural adjustment programmes, 2015
- Debt Defaults and Lessons from a Decade of Crises, Sturzenegger and Zettelmeyer, MIT Press 2007
- Sovereign default, Ams, Baqir,Gelpern and Trebesch, 2019
- Ali Abbas, Alex Pienkowski, Kenneth Rogoff, Sovereign Debt: A Guide for Economists and Practitioners, OUP, 2019
- Hayk Kupelyants, Sovereign Defaults Before Domestic Courts, OUP, 2018
- Eurodad, Public private partnerships and universal health care in Latin America - at what cost?, 2019
- Eurodad, Latin America and the outbreak of Covid-19: a chronicle of multiple crises (I), 2020
- Eurodad, Latin America and the outbreak of Covid-19: a chronicle of multiple crises (II), 2020
- Latindadd, Las respuestas del G20 dejan a América Latina, 2020
- Latindadd, Latin America needs access to resources without generating debt: issuance of Special Drawing Rights, 2020.
- Latindadd, América Latina enfrenta el retorno de la deuda, 2019
- Latindadd, Otra vez la deuda ¿Cómo estamos en América Latina?, 2017
- Boughton J., The IMF and Latin America debt crisis: seven common criticisms, 1994
- Baker, D. and Rosnick, D., Too Sunny in Latin America? The IMF's overly optimistic growth projections and their consequences, 2003
A graphic version's here: download it and save it somewhere you can easily find it!
Some other materials include:
- Sebastian Grund's presentation on sovereign default
- Astrid Iversen's presentation on sovereign debt restructurings
- Patricia Miranda's presentation on debt in Latin America
- Oscar Ugarteche's presentation "The debt problem. Is it?"
In addition, you can always access the interactive informal recommendations list. We encourage you to use it and add any material that caught your attention and you would like others to see: it could be a podcast, a book, an inspiring article, even a TikTok video could do. Feel free to share it with us.
|This webinar is being organised with the financial support of the European Union, Bread for the World, the Open Society Foundations and Avina Americas. Its contents are the sole responsibility of Eurodad and its partners and do not necessarily reflect the views of the funders.|