Debt Wednesdays: session 5&6
Debt relief & the Paris Club historical perspective
Overview of debt in Africa
The third session of the Debt Wednesday's training course will introduce the concepts of debt relief, together with an historical perspective of the Paris Club. Participants will give a closer look to the debt situation in Africa.
- Jaime Atienza, Global Debt Policy Lead, Oxfam International
- Rémi Vilain, Committee for the Abolition of Illegitimate Debt (CADTM)
- Tirivangani Mutazu, Senior Policy Analyst, Afrodad
- Moderator: Muchimba Siamachoka, Programme Officer, Jesuit Centre for Theological Reflection (JCTR)
As usual, at the beginning of the webinar we asked your opinion on an issue related to the topic of the event. This time, you contributed with the criticisms that sometimes is possible to meet in the narrative around debt relief:
We hope that by the end of the course you will have acquired the tools to analyse, counter or improve them.
- Eurodad, A debt pandemic: Dynamics and implications of the debt crisis of 2020, 2021
- Eurodad, Debt relief must deliver on ambitions, 2020
- Eurodad, IMF Debt Relief: Implications for developing countries, 2020
- Borrowing Costs After Debt Relief, Lang, Mihalyi and Presbitero, 2020
- CADTM, What is the Paris Club?, 2005
- CCFD Terre Solidaire, The Paris Club Handbook, 2020
- Erlassejahr, A debt moratorium – but for whom? How, in 2020, debt relief is not helping those who need it most, 2020. Webinar here.
- Erlassejahr, Debt relief as response to the corona-induced recession – What next?, 2020
- IMF, Debt Relief Under the Heavily Indebted Poor Countries (HIPC) Initiative, 2021
- IMF, Heavily Indebted Poor Countries (HIPCs) – Documents
- Paris Club website: Paris Club or Club de Paris?
- Eurodad, Debt, Kenya and the IMF, 2021
- Eurodad, Kenya: Covid-19 and debt, 2020
- African Development Bank Group, African Economic Outlook 2021. Available in English, French and Portuguese.
- Afrodad, Covid-19 Debt Sustainability Impacts & Economic Rescue Packages Analyses in the SADC Region, 2020
- Civil society organisations, Honest account 2020 how the world profits from Africa's wealth, 2017
- JDC, Under the radar: Private sector debt and coronavirus in developing countries, 2020.
- OSISA & AFRODAD, Direitos Especiais de Saque do Fundo Monetário Internacional. Angola. Passcode: [email protected]@
- Oxfam, A tale of two continents: fighting inequality in Africa, 2019
- Webinar, La deuda africana en época de pandemia, 2021
Some other materials include:
- Rémi Vilain's presentation on debt relief and the Paris Club, in English, Spanish and French.
- Tirivangani Mutazu's presentation on debt in Africa, in English and French.
In addition, you can always access the interactive informal recommendations list. We encourage you to use it and add any material that caught your attention and you would like others to see: it could be a podcast, a book, an inspiring article, even a TikTok video could do. Feel free to share it with us.
|This webinar is being organised with the financial support of the European Union, Bread for the World, the Open Society Foundations and Avina Americas. Its contents are the sole responsibility of Eurodad and its partners and do not necessarily reflect the views of the funders.|